Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Apple and Cinnamon Crockpot Oatmeal

I love oatmeal for breakfast! When I was a kid I ate a lot of instant oatmeal and was perfectly happy. I still keep instant oatmeal on hand for a very quick fix.

As a mom, I like to make a pot of oatmeal on the weekend made from milk as a way to get Heidi to take in more milk. But that takes 15 minutes standing over the stove.

So when I found this little gem I knew I had to give it a try. It was super easy and yielded enough left overs that I have been eating oatmeal for a few days now. And I am a happy camper!


I saw this on Pinterest but I don't really know who to credit to because the picture didn't go anywhere.

Here's what you need:
2 sturdy apples - like honey crisp or Fuji but really anything you have on hand will work fine
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups oatmeal
4 cups water

Dice the apples (remove skin if you wish) and place apples on the bottom of your crock pot.

Sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar over the apples.

Add the oatmeal then pour in the water. Resist the urge to stir.

Do NOT stir!

Cook on low for 8 hours, or more if you sleep in since you don't have to make breakfast!

When you serve the oatmeal you can add more sugar or cinnamon to taste. You can also throw in chopped pecans or raisins or anything else you like in your oatmeal. I like to add a bit of milk to make it creamy.

If you have left overs, store in serving sized containers. Microwave each serving for about 1 minute, stir well, and check temp. They might dry out a bit so add moisture back by adding some milk and stirring.

I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do!
Hugs,
Kara

No comments: