Monday, May 14, 2012

What To Cook? Blueberry Scones

One morning a few months back I arrived at work before having eaten breakfast. I was very hungry so I headed towards a little deli I know sells fruit cups and yogurt.

When I walked in they were just pulling freshly made scones from the oven and placing them on the counter.

What a great sales tacit! They don't put them behind the glass! No! They put them right on the counter so when you go pay for your coffee they are sitting right there. In your face. In all their sconey glory.

I can't help but wonder if this practice started when the Caribou was put in next door...

In any case, I forgot about the fruit cup and yogurt and picked up a freshly baked, still warm blueberry scone. Not only was it fresh but it was the most moist scone I had ever eaten, save the one Emilie brought me a few years back.

I had become complacent with dry, cold scones from the coffee shop. They are good but they are not exactly what they should be.

For deli scones later I decided it was time to throw together a recipe I can put in my binder for a quick go to any time I feel the need to have a scone. It's so simple and I have everything I need in my pantry so I can make these any time I am in a pinch for a pastry to serve for breakfast or with coffee to surprise guests.

Here's what you need:
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, chilled
1 cup blueberries, frozen
1/2 cup (6 oz) vanilla yogurt or sour cream (I prefer yogurt)
1 egg

Use frozen blueberries instead of fresh for two reasons. 1. They are always in season (aka, cheaper!) 2. They will not fall apart or pop when handling the dough.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir using a sturdy rubber spatula.

Either cut the butter into small cubes or grate it on your box-grater using the largest holes. I prefer to just cut it into small cubes but you do whatever floats your boat! Add butter to the dry ingredients and stir.

In a small bowl, beat together the egg and yogurt (or sour cream).

Add yogurt mix to the dry ingredients and mix until it is slightly chunky but not smooth. Scones will be chunky. Be careful not to over handle your dough.

Fold in the blueberries. This means dump the blueberries into the dough then fold your dough over lightly using your rubber spatula or hands taking care not to crush your berries. If they are frozen, this will be much easier.

Traditionally, scones are shaped like a cone or in a wedge or a triangle. Maybe you like round scones or maybe you like them square. Feel free to shape them however you would like. Make them your own!

If you want to be traditional, Cut your dough in half then turn out half onto your work surface. Shape into a very thick pizza and cut into six slices. Repeat with second half and place slices on a greased baking sheet.

Or you can go the other route and simply scoop out the dough into mounds and place on the greased baking sheet. Try to make 12 equally sided mounds.

Place your baking sheet in your preheated oven in the middle. If you have to adjust your rack to do this, please don't be lazy and just do it!

Bake for about 20 minutes and serve warm!

Enjoy!!

Hey, if blueberries are not your thing, try changing it up! Swap the blueberries for raspberries or blackberries. Or add cheese and bacon for a breakfast biscuit. When it's apple season I will create and post an apple cinnamon scone.


2 comments:

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

you "throw together recipes"?? really? show off. :)
honestly though ... i'm impressed.

Kara said...

Ha! I do. It's a lot of fun. I pick something I like then I read as many recipes as I can and note the parts I like and jot down other things I want to remember. Then I put it all together and adjust. Sometimes it doesn't work well but sometimes it does!