Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What's for Dinner - Yummy, Drippy, Roast Beef Sandwiches

Sometimes the best ideas come from a company pushing their product. This is smart marketing, in my opinion. Campbell's wants to sell more soup. To do so, they include ideas of what to do with their soup in the coupon fliers with a coupon for that soup.

I love when this happens! Not only do I have a new meal idea but I to purchase the ingredients at a discount.

Last week, I came across a recipe for hot roast beef sandwiches. The picture looked very appetizing and the recipe was quick so it ended up as Wednesday nights dinner.

Dripping Roast Beef Sandwiches with Melted Provolone


Here's what you need:
1 can (10 1/2 oz) Condensed French Onion Soup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
3/4 lbs thinly sliced deli roast beef
4 hoggie style rolls
4 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
1/4 cup drained hot or mild pickled banana pepper rings (optional)



Pour the soup and the Worcestershire sauce in a pot and heat until boiling.  I realize you are using condensed soup but please resist the urge to add water.


Add in the roast beef.  The roast beef I had was all rolled up together so I pulled it apart and placed it in one slice at a time.  After about three slices I stirred it into the soup.  This way, every piece was coated with the soup and it was all warmed through nicely.

Once all of the beef is added, fill the hoggie buns with the meat and place on a baking tray.  These are a bit drippy so use something with sides.  (Ignore my pan, I like to think of it as loved.)  I used Whole Wheat Hot Dog Rolls, Archer Farms brand.  We had these in Hamburger style with shredded pork a few weekends ago and fell in love.  I think Archer Farms is sold only at Target Stores.

Spoon the rest of the soup from the bottom of the pot over the sandwiches.


Place the cheese slices over the sandwiches.  We wished ours was cheesier so next time I will use double the cheese.  We also thought maybe a stronger flavored cheese would be good.  Like Swiss.


Place the sandwiches in the oven at 400 degrees for 3minutes.  I was making fries at the same time so my oven was heated to 450.  I just kept an eye on them so they didn't burn.  Next time, I will broil them because I like that flavor better.


And here's what you end up with!  You could add some kind of pepper.  The recipe called for banana pepper rings but I don't like those.  You could also cook up some green peppers and toss those on just before the cheese. 

I served these with Orieda Fries and Green Giant Steamed Corn for a super fast and YUMMY dinner.

Give it a try, I hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Here is a link to the nutritional info, if you are into that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really good! We will have to try it soon.