Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gyros and Cucumber Sauce - YUM!

At Earle Brown Days this year I discovered Dino's Gyros. Yum! And now I am addicted.

I am always trying to find new things to make for dinner and I am also trying to make sure our meals are balanced and some what healthy.

A few weeks ago I decided to make home made gyros. And they were YUM! The only difference between my gyro and Dino's were the pickled onions.

All you need is a package of wheat pitas, chicken, lettuce (we used spinach), cucumber sauce.

Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes, or smaller. Cover the bottom of a skillet with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and heat. Then add the chicken and some oregano. Cook the chicken until it's no longer pink.

I didn't have any fresh tomatoes on hand but that would have been a good addition for the people who like tomatoes!

I also let my family assemble their own gyro like a taco. I served the gyros with a vegetable and tater tots.

Here is the recipe for the cucumber sauce. It's best to make it the night before so the flavors get to blend. I didn't know this so I made it about 1 hour before dinner and it was still very good.

1 cup chopped seeded cucumber - I used all of one medium cucumber instead of measuring out a cup
¼ teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
8 oz plain yogurt
½ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill

In medium bowl, combined cucumber and salt. Let stand at room temp about 30 minutes

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine garlic, oil, and vinegar. Mix well.

Add yogurt and sour cream and stir until smooth.

Drain excess liquid from cucumbers, pressing to extract all liquid.

Fold cucumber, mint, and dill into yogurt mixture.

Store sauce in refrigerator over night (or serve right away)

This sauce is very good on gyros but is also very YUM on fries or anything else you would dip in ranch dressing.

No comments: