Friday, November 20, 2009

What's For Dinner? Cinnamon Roasted Chicken and Potatoes

I found this recipe in an old cooking magazine on my bookshelf. The picture of it looked so good I wanted to give it a try but I was a little nervous about how the flavors would taste together.

So, I purchased the ingredients on one Sunday and didn’t make this until the following Tuesday!

But when I finally did it was so fantastic four adults and one child ate the entire thing. Even Heidi was impressed, which is hard to do.

Cinnamon Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
3 cinnamon sticks
3 bay leaves
1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 pounds small red potatoes, skin on, quartered
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Greek spice or dried oregano (I used oregano because I had that in the house and didn’t want to buy the Greek spice)
2 cups water

Heat the over to 400 degrees

Place 2 of the cinnamon sticks and 1 bay leaf inside the chicken cavity.

Sprinkle chicken inside and out with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. (I don’t measure salt or pepper. I used sea salt and just rubbed it all over the outside of the chicken. I use cracked pepper and cracked it over the outside as well. I did not put salt or pepper inside the chicken at all)

In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, oil, Greek spice (dried oregano), 2 bay leaves, cinnamon stick, and ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper (again, I did not measure the s&p). Toss gently to mix.

Arrange potato mixture around chicken

Add water

I drizzled Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the chicken before putting in the oven.

Cover and bake for 45 minutes, basting chicken occasionally.

Remove cover and bake an additional 45 to 55 minutes or until potatoes are tender and internal temp of chicken is 180 F, basting frequently.

Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.

Makes 8 servings. 550 Calories, 28g total fat (6g saturated fat), 37 g protein, 36g carbohydrate, 105 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 3.5 g fiber.

No comments: