Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Fitness Journey - Week Ending May 23

This week was a very typical spring/summer week for my family meaning we were crazy busy and it was hard to find time to get anything more into a day.

Starting out with Wednesday - We reopened Kara's Yoga Studio in my living room! We cleared out a few small pieces of furniture, rolled back the rug, laid out a few yoga mats, and popped in a Jillian Michaels Yoga DVD.

My sisters-in-law and I worked, sweated, and cussed our way through the 30 minute level one video. When it was done they pealed off and I did about 15 minutes of the level two video and then a short ab workout on the floor.

It was hot and sweaty and I was sore for two full days. So over all I would say it was a great workout.

After working that hard and being that sore I have to remind myself that Yoga is not a calorie torcher and that I need to balance it with running.

Thursday was a busy day at work, Heidi had Gymnastics, and I had a meeting in the evening so I had to take it as a rest day. I worked hard to make sure I at least got all my steps in and was happy to find I was 500 steps over goal even with sitting in a chair from 7 to 9:30 pm.

Friday I went for a quick walk during my lunch and I was able to make it to they gym in my office after work. I ended up 300 calories over my goal burn and logged 13,076 steps - WOW! I suffered that night with shin cramps, a middle of the night reminder that I need to stretch not only after working out but before bed as well. I am sure the two glasses of wine with dinner played into the cramps as well!!

I spent Saturday cleaning my house and then we checked into a local waterpark Hotel for the weekend where the kids swam for hours and hours. I was not able to wear my body bug much while I was there since it is not something that can get wet so I am not sure how I fared over the weekend.

Sunday I woke up with a knot in my back the size of a fist and had very limited use of my right arm and shoulder. This limited my movement and in the afternoon it was so unbearable I ended up sitting on the couch watching TV for about 4 hours. This is not something I ever do but I figure it's my body's way of telling me to take a break.

My awesome Sister-in-law Jess worked the knot down to something manageable and I was feeling a bit better so Monday I was able to begin moving again. I got down to the gym at the end of the day and spent 15 minutes on a yoga flow. When I was done my shoulder was aching and the base of my head was starting to throb so I walked on the treadmill for 35 minutes instead of running. I was pleased to see my steps were at 9108 on Monday and I burn 798 more calories than I took in making Monday a huge success and helped make up for any damage done from the weekend!

Tuesday was full of good intentions. On days when we run I really watch what I eat so I am not weighed down by food and I stop drinking coffee by noon so I am not fighting dehydration cramps at the mile mark. While I was very successful in the food department I was not able to get away from my desk on time, add traffic from construction leaving downtown, and I didn't get home until it was too late for us to run and still make it to a commitment we had in the evening. Days like this bum me out!

This morning I set my baseline weight and body fat for my next set of goals. This is slow and steady, not a race so my goals are 12 pounds over 12 weeks. 

I am really excited and motivated to get this train going again!

No comments: