Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gluten Lite Update

Last night we tried another new recipe that is naturally gluten free. It was a recipe I would have tried before this adventure because it read like a good dinner but it was sort of a flop. I may try it again when I can limit the crock pot time to the 4 hours stated in the directions because having it go to warm and then sit for awhile made the chicken very, very dry. Live and learn!

If you want to give it a try here is the link.

A quick update - Heidi hasn't had a stomach ache since the weekend but yesterday she had a chicken patty on a bun at school and she was fine. Last night she cried because I limited the number of Ritz crackers she could have. And she is really mad that she can't have waffles for breakfast.

I am a bit overwhelmed to learn that almost everything has gluten in it. There is an additive called Dextrose that is in almost every thing it seems and Dextrose is made from Gluten. My thought out naturally gluten free menu is working for dinners this week but we are either going to have to start looking at gluten free subs such as different flours or draw a line on what Gluten Lite really means to my family.

I was telling my friend the other day that I am not really feeling like this is the right thing for our family after my shopping trip on Sunday. I don't know if it is because it is so overwhelming or if it is something else.

I am watching what Heidi eats and weighing my options here. I don't want to give up after only a week but I am really starting to think that limiting processed foods and fast foods will probably give us the same results and allow this to be more of a lifestyle change my family can actually stick with.

I realize it sounds like I am giving up easy but I am not. I am going to keep trying because I really do need to figure out how to stop Heidi's stomach aches. I am just giving an honest update of what's going on in my head right now.

Chicken Gyro's with homemade cucumber sauce on the menu tonight! Yummo!

No comments: