Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What's For Dinner? Egg Salad

We had about a dozen hard boiled eggs sitting in the fridge so I decided to whip up a batch of egg salad.  I love egg salad but I don't think to make it very option.

Before I share how I make egg salad, I am going to share how I make a hard boiled egg.


First place your eggs in the bottom of a pot and cover with cold water.  For the egg salad recipe coming in a few minutes you will want about 12 eggs but I just made Heidi four for this demo.


Place the pot on the stove and bring to a boil.  When the water is at a rolling boil set the timer for 8 minutes. Let the eggs sit in the boiling water until the timer goes off.

 After eight minutes move the pot to the sink and turn on the cold water.  Let the water run until the eggs are cool.  This takes about 3 minutes. You could also prepare a bowl of ice water and put the eggs directly in the bowl. It would be a better use of water but I never think to do this until the water has been running for a minute.


Now you have hard boiled eggs.  When I started making eggs this way, I would only boil them for 7 minutes but I found that some of the yokes would be a darker yellow meaning they were not quite cooked so now I do 8 minutes and I don't have any problems.

If I am not going to use all the hard boiled eggs right away, I dry them off and mark them with an H.  Then they go right back with the other eggs but I know which ones are hard boiled.  I tell Heidi the H is for Heidi because she wants to eat them.  Either way works!!

Now, the egg salad. Here's what you need for 5 to 7 sandwiches, depending on how much you put on the sandwich.
12 hard boiled eggs, shelled
1 cup mayo
1/2 small onion (optional)
2 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
salt to taste
pepper to taste

 Start by peeling the eggs.
 Place the eggs in a medium bowl.  I like my large batter bowl from Pampered Chef for this task. (I do not sell Pampered Chef, I just like their products, this is not an advertisement.) 
 Using a fork or a mashed potato masher, mash up the eggs.

Add the mayo and mix.


And there you have it.  Egg salad with no crunchy parts.

If you like the crunchy parts, feel free to add some onion or celery.  You will not find that at my house!

Spread a dollop on some bread and salt and pepper to taste.  Add cheese or some fresh spinach if you like.

The egg salad will keep in a covered contain in the fridge for a few days.

Enjoy!!

No comments: