Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What's for Dinner? The Perfect Baked Potato

I have always been a bit intimidated by baked potatoes.  I really have no idea why, I guess it's just one of my weird little things.

I decided to give baked potatoes a try and found it to be a very easy process.  I reviewed a few tips online, put them together, and what I came up with was the perfect baked potato.

Here's what you need:
Baking Potatoes - one per person
Olive Oil
Sea Salt or any other coarse salt

Wash the potatoes and stab with a fork taking care to put holes all over the potato.  This allows for air to move through the potato aiding in cooking all the way through.

Pour some olive oil in a dish.  Roll potato in the olive oil until evenly coated.

Put the Sea Salt in a dish.  Roll the potato in the dish until covered in salt.

Place on a baking sheet.  Do not wrap the potatoes in tin foil.  Foil will make the potato skin soggy. 

Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 90 minutes.  To check for doneness, stab one of the potatoes with a fork.  If it slides right though, it's done.  If not, bake for another 10 minutes and check again.

When you remove the potatoes from the oven, let them sit for a couple of minutes.  The skin will be crispy and salty.  The inside will be fluffy.  Slice the potato down the middle and squeeze the sides to open.

Top with whatever you would like.  I like butter, cheese, and bacon.  Shawn likes the same plus sour cream. 

These were, hands down, the best baked potatoes I have ever made.

No comments: