Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What's For Dinner: Baking Powder Biscuits

I have been wanting a Kitchen Aid mixer for so long that I don't remember not wanting one.

On our wedding anniversary, while at Target, we came across this one.  The price was too good to pass up so it ended up in my cart.



The red one was on sale.  Since my kitchen is very natural, it actually works!

To break it in, I made Baking Powder Biscuits.


Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
Melted margarine or butter, if desired

Start by putting the flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening in a bowl. 

Mix until the shortening is broken up and mixed in to the dry ingredients.  Scrape the sides of the bowl then add the milk.


Mix until the dough sticks to the beater.


Turn the dough out onto a flat surface.


Knead the dough until it all sticks together, about 20 seconds.  Pound flat to about 1/2 inches thick.


Using a 2-inch floured biscuit cutter or something similar, cut out the biscuits.


I do not have a biscuit so I used this thing and it worked beautifully.  Cut out as many as you can, then reshape the dough.  Keep doing this until you are out of dough.



Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet and brush with melted butter.



Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 450 degrees.


Remove from oven and serve immediately.

I was able to get nine full biscuits out of this recipe.  They are pretty good but a bit dry.  I slathered mine with strawberry jam and enjoyed it with a hot cup of coffee - YUM!

No comments: