Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Soap Box - Halloween Etiquette

Over the last few years I have noticed that people no longer understand Trick Or Treating Etiquette so I am going to enlighten you all.

1. All Trick Or Treaters must be in costume. NO EXCEPTIONS! Please do not tell me that some people cannot afford costumes, a bed sheet will make a nice ghost, overalls and a flannel shirt make a farmer, sports t-shirt and ball cap make a sports fan. If you want candy, the least you can do is dress up.

2. 15 years old is to old to Trick or Treat. I think that kids out of elementary school are too old. I realize some people believe 6th and 7th graders are young enough. If you can drive a car you are too old!

3. Only knock on doors of houses where the porch light is turned on. Living room lights do not count! If the porch light is not on, keep walking.

4. Knock OR ring door bell 1 time. If no one answers keep moving. Do not, under any circumstances, kick the door.

5. Get your candy and leave the steps so other kids can approach the door. Don't stand there sorting your candy, you can do that at home.

6. It is very dark out, please wear something that will reflect off headlights - kids are 50% more likely to be hit by a car on Halloween than any other night.

Okay, I am off my soap box now. Please return to your day.

No comments: