Sunday, April 22, 2012

What's for Dinner? Savory Honey Chicken Thighs


I had a large package of chicken thighs I needed to cook on night last week. I searched around for a chicken thigh recipe that sounded both tasty but didn't take an hour to cook.

I came across a recipe for Spicy Honey Chicken Thighs on a site called Real Mom Kitchen. I had most of the ingredients but my chicken had bones.

I made a few very small modifications and came up with this very yummy chicken. I want to thank Real Mom Kitchen for the recipe which you can find here.

What you need:

  • 4 bone in skinless chicken thighs
  • Canola or Olive Oil
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 Tbsp cider vinegar

Remove the skin from your chicken thighs. This makes the chicken much healthier and allows the rub to flavor the chicken meat, not just the skin.

Pat the chicken dry. And go ahead and turn on your broiler to high. Make sure your top rack is as high as you can place it and your bottom rack is in the middle of the oven. This will keep you from having to move the racks when the oven is super hot!

Mix up the rub in a bowl as follows:
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp cumin

Drizzle the oil of your choice over the chicken. Coat the chicken with the rub taking care to get it all over the chicken. Since I feed seven people I made eight chicken thighs. Doubling the recipe gave me the exact amount of run I needed.

Place the chicken thighs on a baking sheet lined with foil, bone down.  Then place the baking sheet in your hot oven. You will broil the chicken for 5 minutes, flip the chicken so now your bones are up for 5 more minutes.

While the chicken is broiling make the sauce by mixing 1/2 cup of honey with 1 tbsp of cider vinegar. This sauce will be plenty even if you made 8 pieces of chicken so please do not double it.

Okay, so now your chicken has been broiled for 5 minutes on each side. Switch your oven over to bake at 350 degrees. Flip the chicken back so the bones are down and brush with the sauce then place back in the oven on the middle rack for 5 minutes.

Now you will have to watch the chicken to make sure the sauce doesn't burn.  You will turn your chicken and brush with sauce again then place in the oven for another 5 minutes. Repeat this process of flipping, saucing, and baking for 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. This will take about 20 to 30 minutes depending on how meaty your chicken thighs are and how many you have on the sheet.

I served the chicken with a salad and baked beans. Everyone agreed this will end up in the keep binder.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!


No comments: