Thursday, February 16, 2012

Just One More Thing - Gluten Lite

If you are my friend and you know me in real life, you know my trademark phase is "I just can't do one more thing!" But I am also known for saying it as I am taking on two more things.

This is one of those times. I know we are crazy. And yes, it is one of my goals for the year to figure out exactly what all my commitments are and then trim the fat so I can have a reasonable life. But I feel this one more thing is worth it. And I thing that blogging about it might help others too.

My daughter, who will be seven in a few short weeks, has struggled with stomach issues her entire life. As a baby she had to be held certain ways to relieve gas. She eventually started taking gas drops. When she out grew those she just suffered through until about three years ago when after many discussions with her Montessori teacher about the post lunch stomach aches I put her on a daily probiotic. It had been working for me for years and it worked for her right away.

Over the last few years I have met a number of people who are gluten intolerant and I even met a woman with Celiac Disease which is a complete allergy to gluten.

I generally see a sign when it first appears but sometimes I need it to jump up and slap me in the face. I have had so many people who really know my daughter tell me that I should try a Gluten Free diet with her. I think it overwhelmed me because she is not the only person in this house and I am not the only person in this house who cooks dinner. With two families sharing the food responsibilities under one roof not only do I need to figure out what a Gluten Free diet means but I have to sell it to the other half of my house.

That was just way to exhausting to even think about. And the probiotics are still working as long as I remember to give her one every day.

Then the other main cook in the house goes away for the weekend and meets a chef who specializes in Gluten Free diets. This chef goes on to sell my other cook on the Gluten Free diet so she is totally on board. That was easy!

But to top that, we are down to two weeks of probiotics and then we are out. I can't find our brand anywhere! That was the slap in the face I needed.

Over the next four days I will be scouring the internet to learn what a Gluten Free diet is. I am almost certain right now that we will go Gluten LITE, not Free but again, what does that look like. I will bring the "What's for dinner" section of this blog back to life to review and post pictures of the recipes we try out and maybe a little about if we think this is working.

We are going to take it one week at a time starting Sunday.

Wish us luck and check back for updates and recipes!

1 comment:

Margie said...

Its the best thing i have done in a while with this gluten lite/free..No stomach pains since Sat. for me too :)