Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Another Hard Decision in the Daisy Saga

The Daisy Saga has simply been one hard decision after another. From deciding if we needed a biopsy to the amputation to chemo.

As I wrote a few weeks ago, her last chemo treatment did not go well.

We celebrated Thanksgiving at our house, and when we noticed she was not greeting people at the door, we were concerned. We had also noticed that she didn’t care that I had been cooking for three days, she just slept on the couch the entire time.

She spent 18 days of the 21 day cycle sleeping on the couch.

I woke up on Saturday to a dog who was starving. Though she had been eating her normal meals since her last treatment, she wasn’t eating much more. On Saturday morning, she was ravenous. I gave her a pile of treats, her normal breakfast, and left over pancakes and she still seemed hungry! She spent the rest of the day wandering around the house, checking on things.

Honestly, this was the most active I have seen her since before her biopsy.

I spoke with the Oncologist. I spent many, many hours thinking about this. I talked with Shawn at great length.

I decided to stop her chemo.

This was not an easy decision but it all boils down to this. I have no idea how much longer Daisy will be with us. A few weeks? A few years? No one can tell me.

However long that will be, I want her to be the Daisy I know she can be. I do not want her to be sick or sleeping or just laying there. I want her to greet me at the door, spend time out in the yard with the snow, begging for my dinner.

I have made this decision based on her quality of life. I still feel good about saying that we have done everything we could to make her better even though we are not proceeding with the last three treatments. I know, in my heart, this is the right thing to do and that is what has always mattered.


Maggie said...

Daisy is a very lucky girl to have a mom like you! It is just heart wrenching to watch em suffer.. keep your chin up and keep chuggin'.

Meghan said...

Thanks for sharing Kara. I hope Daisy can remain her active, happy self for how ever much longer she has. Lots of love!

Kara said...

Thank you for the encouragement, I really feel like we are doing the right thing. :(

Lindsey said...

I am sending you hugs! Those decisions are so difficult but I'm sure you are doing the right thing.

Cindy said...

‎*Hugs Kara*

Ronnie said...

Oh Kara, I just read all about Daisy and I'm so sorry. I know how sad/stressful/worrisome it is to have a sick doggie and to wonder whether you're doing the right thing. You ARE doing the right thing. I hope your family gets to enjoy Daisy for a long time.

Kara said...

Cindy - Thanks!
Ronnie - Thanks, I hope we get her for a long time too!