Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What's For Dinner? Skillet Corn Bread

I love corn bread but being from Minnesota, I want my corn bread to be sweet.  This is not one of those recipes but is was still pretty good.

I borrowed it from my favorite website, The Pioneer Woman.

Skillet Corn Bread

Here's a picture of what you need but link over to PW to get the exacts!

Does you flour bag fall apart as quickly as mine do?  I have taken to putting it in a gallon zip lock bag as soon as I open it because I am sick of having flour all over my cabinet.


Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
Measure the buttermilk and milk in a cup.  Add an egg and stir with a fork.  Add baking soda and stir.

Pour the milk mix into the dry and stir with a fork until combined.  Add the melted shortening to the batter and stir.
PW melts some shortening in a skillet.  I cooked some bacon instead.  I liked the bacon flavor that was added to the corn bread.

Slowly add the batter to the hot skillet.  It will sizzle a bit.

Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Doesn't it look good?

I cut the bread into slices because that is how Ree did it. But after I cut it I immediately wished I had cut it like a pizza.

Like I said, it was not sweet at all.  Adding a bit of sugar may have worked but I wanted to try this the way Ree wrote it. 

Serve it with some chili on a cool Sunday afternoon.  Enjoy!

No comments: