Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Where to Eat? Old Fashoned Donut Shop

Often, after dropping my daughter at school in the morning, I will run into the Holiday Station Store on the corner to grab a muffin. More than half the time the muffin is frozen and I can't eat it right away. This leaves me very disappointed. And hungry!
 
One day when my daughter was home on her second day of strep we dropped the carpool off at the school and decided to check out this little shop.

I had very high expectations. There was a little donut shop near my house growing up where the neighborhood bought their donuts on their way to church or work, and where the older neighbors met up for coffee. I loved running in to pick out my favorite cake donut and seeing people we knew hanging out drinking coffee. I hoped that would be me some day.

That little donut shop changed ownership a number of years ago and my dreams were crushed. They stopped baking their donuts in house and all the charm was lost.

Anyway, I was expecting the same mom and pop bakers and that is exactly what I got. I was expecting homemade, fresh donuts and that is exactly what I got. It felt like a bit of my childhood was handed back to me in that moment.

Then I bit into the Old Fashion and it was like heaven. Melt in your mouth greasy with a crunch in all the right places. I can almost taste it right now.

I am here today to recommend to you, just for a quick breakfast or for any of your donut needs, Old Fashion Donut Shop! A quick google search told me the Delicious sign belongs to the Chinese Restaurant next door.

They are located on the corner of Douglas Drive and Medicine Lake Road in Crystal.


They are open everyday until noon but appear to be closed on Sundays. Their prices are comparable to any chain grocery store and on Monday's they have a sale where you can purchase up to 4 dozen donuts for $6 per dozen, this is about 40% off of the daily regular price.

I swung in and picked up a dozen to share with you and for my family to enjoy over the next few days.

 They have about 12 to 15 varieties of donuts, an assortment of muffins, and some rolls. I have not tried the muffins or rolls yet but they are on my list!

My favorite is the Old Fashion and the Chocolated Coated Cake donut.

They taste as amazing as they look!

I could not eat them all. Honestly I wasn't even willing to try them all since I don't like glazed donuts, but this one was calling my name. I had to cut it open and then try a few bites.

It's a cinnamon pastry with a glaze on the top. It was soft and cool, very pleasing to the pallet and called to be chased with a hot cup of coffee. Seeing as I am not a fan of the glaze two bites were enough for me but I just know my glaze loving friends would be all over this guy.

If you are ever in the area and you have a hankering for a donut, skip the gas station and check out Old Fashion Donuts. I promise you will not be sorry.

(Old Fashion Donuts did not ask me to write this review, I paid for the products received, their staff doesn't even know I exist, I just really like their product and wanted you to know about it.)

No comments: