Saturday, April 23, 2011

What's for Breakfast? French Toast Bake

This is a great breakfast for Easter or when you have overnight guests or when you have seven people living in your house like I do.

I saw a variation of this recipe on a news talk show a few weeks back.  I could not remember what the show was so I just Googled Baked French Toast, read about 10 recipes, noted all the things I liked from those recipes, then I just winged it.

It was really good but I do have ideas for next time.  When I make it again I will post a step by step photo blog.  But for today here is the base recipe.

Before we start, this recipe does need to be started the night before and put in the fridge.  The next morning it will take about 5 minutes to make the topping and then it will bake for 40 to 45 minutes.  So, plan ahead!

Here is what you need to make 8 to 10 servings:
1 1/2 loafs of French Bread cut into cubes
Pancake syrup
3 cups of milk
8 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tbsp nutmeg
3/4 cup butter - melted
3 tbsp corn syrup
1 1/3 cup brown sugar

Coat the bottom of a 9 by 13 baking dish with pancake syrup and set aside.

Slice the french bread into cubes and put in the baking dish.

Mix 3 cups milk, 8 eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/4 tablespoon nutmeg in a bowl.

Pour the milk/egg mixture over the top of the bread cubes.

Cover with foil and place in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 and take the pan out of the fridge.

In a small sauce pan, melt butter.  Then add three tablespoons corn syrup until bubbly.  Add in 1 1/3 cup brown sugar and stir until melted. 

Remove the foil from the pan and pour the brown sugar mix over the bread cubes.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and enjoy!


YUM!!!


 Everyone in my house loved this version.  Next time we are going to add pecans and maybe some fruit. 

I know you will enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments: