Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's for Dinner? Beef and Mushroom Gravy with Rice

When Shawn and I were first dating, a meal his mom would often make was Hamburger with Gravy over Mashed Potatoes. 

While it is still one of Shawn's favorites, I never think to make it.  The other night I had some hamburger that needed to be cooked and I was racking my brain for something to make.  I didn't have the time or the energy to make a meatloaf, we didn't have buns for hamburgers, I was not in the mood for Hamburger Helper...

But I did have a jar of beef gravy that I pick up on sale that week.  And we did have some instant rice in the pantry.  And those mushrooms would need to be used in the next few days...  This is what I came up with.

This is a quick and easy dinner that can be expanded to feed as many as necessary.  That's what I love about it!

What you need:
Hamburger - 1 to 2 pounds, depending on how many people you are feeding.  1 pound will probably make about 4 adult sized portions.
1 medium yellow onion, diced - I used half a large onion because that's what I had on hand.
8 oz package baby bella mushrooms (optional)
1 large bell pepper, diced - I did not add this because I didn't have it in the house but it would have been a great addition.
Beef gravy - 1 jar.  Homemade works too!
White Rice or Mashed Potatoes - 1 serving per adult to feed
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the hamburger and onions together.  Drain most of the grease.  Push the hamburger to the side and brown the mushrooms.

Stir mushrooms into the hamburger.  Add gravy.  Salt and Pepper to taste.

Add the cooked rice to the mixture or serve the hamburger gravy over the rice or potatoes on a plate.

I like to stir the rice in to the gravy. If I use mashed potatoes then I spoon it over the top of the potatoes.

Serve with a side salad and some nice crusty bread.  Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Margie said...

This for our family is one of our favs as well... Just love it. I get so sick of mashed potatoes, being tone wants them every night. BTW if you ever need some rice, my bro baught a 100lb bag of rice and shared..Im sure ill never have to buy rice again..

Kara said...

What the heck do you need 100 pounds of rice for?

Margie said...

He got a good deal on it..